Thursday, January 14, 2010

Some People Shouldn't be Allowed to Talk

Well, that's not true.  Everyone should be allowed to talk, we have a right to freedom of speech, and I cherish that right.  It applies to everyone, no questions.

On the other hand, just because you can talk, it doesn't mean you should.  And it for sure doesn't mean you should be allowed to broadcast your opinions to the world.

Take Pat Robertson.  He says that the earthquake in Haiti was caused by the Haitians themselves, because they made a pact with the devil to throw out the French.  That is so disgusting on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.  He's dismissing the Haitian's religion, promoting colonization, ignoring the fact that things called natural disasters exist, and are called natural disasters for a reason, and he's implying that 50,000 people deserved to die.  Excuse me.  I take issue with that.  You should be praying for those people, donating money to help them, promoting relief efforts.  I didn't think it was possible for Robertson to offend me any more . . . he did.  I am glad, at least, to see that the White House is responding to this, with Press Secretary Robert Gibbs calling his remarks "utterly stupid".  Because, guess what, they are!

Or Rush Limbaugh.  He, at least, is not blaming the Haitians for their tragedy.  But he's matching Robertson in stupidity, by saying that Obama is using US relief efforts as a way to boost his credibility with the black community in the US.  'Scuse me?  What happened to caring for your neighbor, and, um, the obligation to help people?  I mean, Limbaugh is very Christian, right?  Doesn't the Bible have very specific things to say about loving your neighbor?  And doesn't "helping your poverty-stricken neighbors recover from a devastating earthquake" qualify as "loving"?

And then, when somebody actually points out what a hypocritical, lying, jerk he's being, he responds with . . . well, some unrepeatable sentiments.  Watch here: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001140046.  I got exactly 1 minute and 30 seconds into the video before wanting to strangle him, and about 2 and a half minutes before I nearly cried at how simply horrific, disgusting, and completely un-defendable his statements are.  Really.  I don't care if you don't like the president, no one in their right mind would turn a humanitarian tragedy into a political game.  Except, apparently, Rush Limbaugh.  Way to make the world hate you.

By the way, it's also a good idea to check out some of the other videos on that page.  And I know that Media Matters is a very liberal website, but keep in mind that there is no commentary on these videos.  It's simply exactly what Limbaugh/Robertson said: their words from their mouths.

By the way, it's also a good idea to check out some of the other videos on that page.  And I know that Media Matters is a very liberal website, but keep in mind that there is no commentary on these videos.  It's simply exactly what Limbaugh/Robertson said: their words from their mouths.

Links:

  • http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001130018.  Rush Limbaugh's original comments.
  • http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001140046.  Limbaugh's disgusting, pathetic, and exceedingly childish attempt to defend his comments.
  • http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001130024. Pat Robertson's "pact with the devil" comments.
  • http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001140036. Press Secretary Robert Gibbs responds to Limbaugh's remarks.
  • http://mediamatters.org/columns/201001140050.  If you really do want commentary, although this is more of a summary of what I've said.

I'm sorely tempted to say that these two men are aliens, because I find it hard to believe that any human being could be so devoid of compassion, kindness, and pure common sense. But I'm not going to, because I've seen enough science fiction to know that offending the aliens is generally a pretty bad idea.

Kudos to Senator Claire McCaskill for posting this on her Twitter, that's where I found it :)
This is copy/pasted verbatim from my personal blog, In Stars and Swirls, with Ashely's approval and total agreement. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment